Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Books, Books, Books

Well, I bought my textbooks for my seminary classes today (note: all good Texans start stories with "Well"). With my student discount applied, the total came out to just over 200 bucks. Two of the books I needed were not on the shelf though, so I have to return to the LifeWay store on campus in a few days when the shipment comes in and throw down some more cashola. Actually, the price wasn't as high as I thought it would be and the Lord has provided us with some extra dough lately so I am really pleased. Also, all these books look interesting and look like real keepers--unlike some of my textbooks I had while going to UT in Austin.

In case you're curious, I have a list below of the books I'll be using this semester. I plan to publish a booklist like this each semester so that you can read along with me at home, if you like. Seriously, a lot of the books I saw in the store for the classes were really good, Christian living/application stuff. Most, I think can be bought on Amazon for not much moola. By the way, Mark Hagen, I saw that Wayne Grudem's Systematic Theology and Bible Doctrine are used for a lot of the classes. I also saw Church History In Plain Language by Bruce Shelley.

CHOOSE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE
I want to...
  1. Look at the booklist, because I like books and don't find this post the least bit boring
    Look below
  2. Forget it, because books are for squares!
    Look above and count the number of slang words I used for money. Bonus points are given if you can think of other slang words for money that I didn't use. For those who are competitive, post your list in the comments and see who can think of the most.
Ye Olde Bookliste
So, it looks like I have 4 months to read 11 books.

2 comments:

Karianne said...

I count 4 slang terms for money, 5 if you count "price" but I guess that shouldn't count because it's not slang. I noticed you didn't use "dinero", which is really just spanish for money but it's used as slang here in the states sometimes. Some others... benjamins, the big mamoo, bread, dead presidents, hamiltons, c-note, greenbacks...

This was fun! :)

Anonymous said...

I looked at some of the descriptions of the books - boy I would love to read them all if I had the time! If you have a chance, continue to post things you glean from them. The Pentateuch as narratives looks really helpful and I would love to learn everything about church history as well! And I thought it was cool to have you guys memorize the TMS - I was so encouraged by memorizing those 60 verses 30 years ago. We miss you guys!