Monday, July 24, 2006

Honored, Embarrassed

Well, you know that you are getting close to moving when people throw you a going-away party. Some friends of ours (the Kurths and the Lopez-is-iz-is) gave us a party last Saturday. I was surprised how many people showed up to the party. I was also delightfully surprised at the abundance of tasty delictables there so I pretended I wasn't on a diet that night. (Yes, I am on a diet. Yes, this is embarrassing. I admit that I can no longer eat as much of whatever the heck I want because I've been gaining about 5 pounds a year so I am on track to weigh 265 pounds in 20 years if I don't diet. Back to the party.)

Most of the people there were friends from church and work. They talked with us, said good things about us and even prayed outloud and individually for us. I felt honored and embarrassed. Only embarrassed because it was such a royal treatment for me and my wife. I hope to treat others the same in the future and love them in this way. As a Christian, for me to hear others thank God for me and my wife and ask Him to help us on our journey to seminary, it is pretty humbling. I think to myself, "really? you actually care about us?"

It is easy for me to pray for myself. Having others pray for me is awesome though, and a good reminder that I should do the same for them.

Anyways, I would like to give a big thanks to whoever might be reading this because most likely you are someone who cares for us. And if our upcoming move to Ft. Worth takes us farther away from you then know that you will be missed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Bishop!

I am Conrad Smithjones, the oil minister for the nation of Nigeria. We have many nice spams here! You come visit sometime!

It looks like your move to Ft. Worth will no take you much further from me in Nigeria -- about the same, a 39 week mule ride (if you have a water mule, also known as shark). But I'm glad I will be missed.

Let me know if you need any spam!

Karianne said...

Of course we care about you! Not only that, but we will miss you more than we are willing to admit to ourselves. Because if we admit it, then we will have to deal with the aching loss, and we are just not ready for that yet. Until then, our denial leads us to mask our true feelings beneath made-up Nigerian personalities.

love,
the Kurths