Monday, July 31, 2006

Barry Bishop, spider-slayer, poop-elf

Life gets better all the time. I used to dream about being a hero and people counting on me to come through for them. Now, with marriage and parenthood my call to duty has come.

For instance, tonight there was a menacing spider in the house. Karen called my name from the other room and something in her voice immediately told me it was spider, the only question in my mind was how big. I sprinted to the other room, sized up the spider, grabbed a paper towel and smote it. And just like that I was an instant hero. I felt good about myself. Maybe I deserve an extra nap on the couch while my wife cleans up the kitchen (although I usually do this anyway--thanks sweetie).

But some responsibilities I have now are just funny. I have a 15-month-old daughter named Abigail. She is a cute bundle of energy and noise. Most of the day is spent chasing her and keeping her away from electrical outlets and toilets so a lot of things don't get done until she is asleep in her crib. As soon as she is down for the night, the magic happens. Karen and I quickly do as many things as we can and so we are like elves that work all night and in the morning everything is magically different. I fancy myself as some sort of poop-elf that sneaks into the toddler's room, ever so quiet as to not wake her and gently, so gently take the bag of poopy diapers from the trashcan to dispose of them. Then voila! Abigail wakes up to a less stinky room and a full diaper pail she can fill for the day. (If you're not a parent, I want to apologize at this point. I realize that poop is gross and crude to talk about but after you have a child and change diapers it suddenly becomes very interesting and funny.)

My life is funny and enjoyable in a way I never expected. I'm growing into the role of father and husband because there are certain things to be done and they are obviously my responsibility but I am having to learn as I go. Pretty much every day I think, "I don't know what I am doing?". I've found this is a good thing, though. God stretches me, molds me, tries me, disciplines me and then I realize how weak I really am and turn to him. Thanks God, I need you.

No comments: